Attention Seniors, Families, and Senior Care Providers
You may be struggling with loneliness, vision loss, lack of mobility or signs of impaired memory.
Imagine creating the lifestyle that you dream of, filled with social connections and safety, where technology supports you with all of that.
Keeping up with ever-changing technologies and learning how they can assist you is another challenge. Of course, figuring out how to install them can complicate it even more.
My name is Haim Argaman. I am a computer engineer, and a Smart Living Solutions expert.
My parents are in their 90s facing mobility challenges due to their age. Often, they feel very lonely. They’ve always been very reluctant to use technology and don’t even have smartphones.
Without access to modern technology, my parents were very limited in their opportunities to share in important family events, such as the birth of a granddaughter or a graduation.
After I installed the Alexa smart system in their home, their quality of life was greatly enhanced, and I realized that this system could help other seniors.
How Alexa Can Help You
Alexa can help integrate technology in a senior’s home in a variety of ways. Alexa simplifies voice and video calling, sharing photos, and staying connected to family by allowing for simple voice commands to initiate and control the communication.
Alexa also acts as a digital companion, who can answer day to day questions about the weather, news, popular culture, and more. Alexa can take control of entertainment systems – imagine asking your TV to turn on and play your favorite movie without the use of complicated remotes and buttons!
Alexa can also be integrated into your home features such as lighting, thermostats, window blinds, and security systems. Turning on a light could be as simple as asking Alexa to do it for you!
These features can provide both a sense of independence and a level of additional safety for both seniors and caregivers.
A study published in Kiplinger’s Retirement Report tested the impact of Alexa on the lives of retirees.
All participants reported that Alexa made their lives easier. More than 70% noted that the device helped them stay connected to friends, family, and the community. About 75% said they used their smart-home devices daily.
Lois Seed’s vision impairment makes it difficult for her to read books and to look for information on the Internet. So when her retirement community in Carlsbad, Calif., offered to place an Amazon Echo with Alexa voice technology in her one-bedroom apartment, she decided to give the home speaker a try.
Now Seed is hooked – and she’s one of a growing number of older people who are turning to digital voice assistants to make life easier. Seed placed the device next to a comfortable chair, where she listens to audiobooks and to classical. Seed also installed Alexa-enabled devices, which allow her to ask Alexa to turn a light on and off and to change the room temperature. Before, she says, she had trouble reading and manipulating the thermostat.
When it comes to voice assistants, Seed’s advice to seniors is to learn about the numerous functions that voice technology offers. “It can make your life more interesting.”
How Can TechieLiving Help You
What you’ll experience once you get a Smart Speaker installed:
- Many actions will be able to be done by voice commands
- Easier connectivity with family
- Simpler video or telephone calls
- Send and receive text messages
- The ability to read and reply to messages verbally
- Enhanced connection with family and friends through Shared Photos on your Smart Display or TV
- Reminders like to take your medications or for appointments
- The ability to listen to your favorite music and TV shows through voice commands
- The ability to ask for help through voice commands
- Control of home features such as lighting and temperature through voice commands
Here’s Exactly What You’ll Get with Our Service Package
- 60-Minute 1-On-1 session with a smart home expert to analyze your needs, recommend the right devices for you, and home Wi-Fi verification
- Installation and setup of a custom solution for your needs, including configuration of devices and setting up online accounts
- A custom user guide for the senior, including Alexa commands and an in-person hands-on training session for the senior and family members
- Written instructions for family members on what (and how) to install on their mobile devices to enhance communication
- One in-person follow-up meeting within two weeks to address any issues
- Four weeks of free unlimited phone and email support for any technical or usability issues for the senior and family members